Re: [Denemo-devel] Articulations

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Articulations
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 10:01:18 +0000

On Fri, 2011-12-16 at 23:05 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> >> ToggleStaccato
> >> Oops. I pushed them to git now.
> > Ok, quite a few problems.
> > Your script for staccato does
> > (d-DirectivePut-chord-graphic tag LG-Staccato)
> > but LG-Staccato is not defined.
> > You do define LG_STACCATO but its value is
> > (define LG-STACCATO "\xF0\x9D\x85\xBC")
> > which is not a string starting with a newline.
> > (d-DirectivePut-chord-graphic tag filename) loads a graphic of name
> > filename, you have to start with a newline to tell it not to go looking
> > for an svg graphic but to use a font instead.
>
> Is there an advantage to using fonts instead of svg's.
Perhaps. Certainly we had trouble with the .svgs that we (Nils) directly
extracted from the font. They have values for width and height and these
were large, and this seemed to affect performance. There was also a
fuzziness bug.

> > "\xF0\x9D\x85\xBC" is not the emmentaler glyph - using character map
> > tool I see the staccato dot in the emmentaler font at unicode E16C with
> > UTF-8  0xEE 0x85 0xAC, it's in the Private Area block. The F0 9D...  is
> > in the Musical Symbols block, (U+1D17C MUSICAL SYMBOL COMBINING
> > STACCATO ...) so you *can* use this but emmentaler does not have that
> > block, I have included them in the Denemo font. So this works
> >
> >     (d-DirectivePut-chord-graphic tag "\n\xF0\x9D\x85\xBC\nDenemo\n56")
> >
> > but it will be better to use the emmentaler glyphs.
> > So you could do
> > (define LG-Staccato (string-append "\n" LG_STACCATO "\nemmentaler\n48"))
> > and putting the right value LG_STACCATO that should work.
> > I used font size 48 there - this is something we should refine before
> > setting to and doing all the glyphs.
> Ok. I am having a bit of trouble with the fermata symbol. I am not sure
> why it is not loading now. Nils did some work on creating menu items
> that apply to the selection. In the directory I see a file called
> AccentSelectionSwitcher. This is in addition to the ToggleAccent that I
> created.
>
> AccentSelectionSwitcher calls:
> (SingleAndSelectionSwitcher d-ToggleAccent)

Yes, I am confident that Nils' scripts will continue to work if you
change d-ToggleAccent to be a script instead of a built-in.

> Can this be consolidated somehow?
Nils' scripts are not the primitive accent placing command, but some
additional provision (not sure of the details, applying a command to the
selection may be one - he also has stuff to "lock-in" commands, making
Denemo modal) - you don't need to look at that stuff.

Richard