Re: [Denemo-devel] Recent changes to configure.in

From: Ralf Mattes
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Recent changes to configure.in
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 19:52:04 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 11:50:12 -0600, Josue Abarca wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 03:33:50PM +0000, Ralf Mattes wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>
> Hello Ralf,
>
>> what's the reason for requireing libsmf version 1.3 in configure.in.
>> After all, the included libsmf is at version 0.9.1
>
> No, the libsmf[0] included in Denemo is libsmf 1.3, you can check the
> diff file attached (libsmf1.2-denemo.diff).

I figured that out just now. Whoever included libsmf code into lilypond didn't
realize
that  smf_private.h does:

 #define SMF_VERSION PACKAGE_VERSION

This, of course, doesn't work since it will set SMF_VERSION to _denemo's_
version. Argh!

> The Denemo's version is 0.9.1, but the libsmf[0] included is 1.3.
>
>> and seems to compile
>> just fine ...
>> I just checked with my pkg-configured libsmf (1.2) and that works as
>> well. Please don't restrict unnecessarily (I'd have to custom build a
>> whole pile of packages just to compile an unmodified denemo).
>>
>> TIA Ralf Mattes
>
> You always can use the internal copy of libsmf included in denemo. Just
> use "./configure --enable-smf no".

I know, but that's a total misnomer. This switch does _not_ enable or _disable_
the use of libsmf.
Please name such things the standard way: --with-included-smf

> The denemo's developers added the "configure.in check" in order to help
> me to keep up to date the package in Debian[1], because in Debian I
> maintain the debian package of libsmf[2] and the Debian package of
> denemo uses the shared library instead of the internal copy of libsmf
> (both are libsmf version 1.3).

I don't object the possibility to use the system libsmf (au contraitre!), I
just would suggest
to only require the minimum version of libsmf. So my question was: is 1.3
really necessary? Looking
at the diff - yes, it seems so.

Cheers, RalfD

> Cheers,