[Denemo-devel] Possible bug report: inconsistent diminuendo behavior

From: Dan Thompson
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Possible bug report: inconsistent diminuendo behavior
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 20:05:53 -0800

This may actually be a lilypond bug.

This is with Denemo 0.8.22 for Windows (running on Windows 7 x64).

I had a particular phrase to which I was trying to add a crescendo followed by a diminuendo. Using the Denemo GUI, I was unable to get them to render correctly. When trying to come up with a minimal repro, I found that the behavior changed based on if the end of the diminuendo had to cross a bar line--if it needed to cross a bar line, I couldn't get the rendering I wanted. In the end I had to manually tweak the generated lilypond. I'm brand new to lilypond (and Denemo), so I don't know but it could be a lilypond bug because the lilypond required to correctly generate the diminuendo didn't seem consistent between the crosses-a-barline case and the doesn't-cross-a-barline case.

Here is the lilypond that I generated using the Denemo GUI:

MvmntIVoiceI =  {
          r2 c'4 \cr d' \decr \! ~\Barline
         d'8 \! r r4 r2 \EndMovementBarline
}

Here is the manually-tweaked lilypond that gives the rendering I wanted:

MvmntIVoiceI =  {
          r2 c'4 \cr d' \decr \! ~\Barline
         d'8 r \! r4 r2 \EndMovementBarline
}

And here is the lilypond that is generated by Denemo when the diminuendo does not need to cross a barline, which renders correctly without needing any tweaking:

MvmntIVoiceI =  {
          c'4 \cr d' \decr \! ~ d'8 \! r r4 \EndMovementBarline
}

Thank you all for some cool software. I hope this is helpful in improving it.