Re: [Denemo-devel] MIDI convert of recorded midi

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] MIDI convert of recorded midi
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 09:25:40 +0000

On Thu, 2010-03-18 at 00:00 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 05:22:57PM +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
> > Jeremiah,
> >
> > as you will see I have changed importmidi.c to avoid passing a
> structure
> > back which was never allocated any heap.
Jeremiah - it occurred to me overnight (!) that I am probably wrong here
- I think you were returning a structure, which IIRC is done by copying
the fields in the struct. This is new-fangled stuff for those of us
brought up on K&R ed.1: when I was a kid you could only return scalars.
Perhaps, for my sanity, we could keep to the style of coding used
elsewhere in Denemo, passing in pointers to structures you want filling
up with returned values. It does avoid accidentally copying lots of
stuff that you are not really interested in.