Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo File Format (Compression and "Binary")

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo File Format (Compression and "Binary")
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 13:23:03 -0600

On Mar 10, 2010, at 12:57 PM, Nils Gey <address@hidden> wrote:

About the Denemo File Format:

As we all know its compressed. Of course this makes it possible to reduce the filesize with a great factor (didn't measure it, but I guess, as other data, maybe a factor 10?). But is space really a problem? What else is the benefit of this compression?

What is not a benefit:
-Compressed files count as binary files. This makes it harder to handle with them in a repository system like git or svn. This is the exact reason why I'm writing this mail. -Some distributions take Denemo files as compressed files, because the header exactly says this. -If you don't know about the compression you could think Denemo files are some kind of undocumented binary format. For example if you want to examine the .denemo file with a text editor.

Additionally: Why is the xml file stripped of all withespaces and linebreaks? Is this a design decision?

No. I think it was never thought that people would actually want to view these files. For that reason adding Making it look pretty was never a consideration. I totally agree with you.

Since we are at it I started a musicxml importer. It is not ready to be comitted to git yet though.

Jeremiah

Nils