Re: [Denemo-devel] The playback panel development.

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] The playback panel development.
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 16:30:38 +0000

On Tue, 2010-02-09 at 09:33 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:

> On Feb 9, 2010, at 3:14 AM, Richard Shann <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>
> > Jeremiah - I am glad to see progress on the playback thing, but I am a
> > bit concerned that your playback panel may not be heading in a good
> > direction. I left an example of the Play command, which called a
> > procedure defined in denemo.scm
> >
> > The idea is that the actual functionality can be refined there, rather
> > than in C
>
> Ok. So maybe each one calls something like Playback_$button_name in
> guile?
yes or Denemo$button as in my example!

> > The sort of thing I imagine you could do would be get the times of the
> > objects at the start and end of the selection and set the playback
> > interval to that and then play.
>
> So I get the time on of the first note in a selection then the timeon
> +duration of the last?
yes

> > Or allow the user to move the playback
> > interval back by one measure, or ...
>
> With the popup GUI? Should the GUI Select by measure and not seconds?
No, I can't imagine people want to have popup dialogs for this sort of
thing - but a button at each end of a position slider which did shifting
by one measure would maybe be good.

> > The development has all gone the other way, for example a dialog
> > written
> > in C to control the playback interval in seconds - that would be a
> > very
> > specialized user who would want to be doing that regularly.
>
> We need some sort of GUI don't we? Should it be to set measures?
>

> > I can understand that we may well need to do some C work - dragging
> > the
> > playback markers with the mouse for example, but we should be able to
> > get a long way with just a few buttons, sliders etc calling back to
> > scheme procedures which we can then refine.
> >
> > Perhaps we
>
> We meaning not me please. I have no need for this. So I don't know
> what is required.
sorry - I was guessing you would have some specific uses & hence ideas
about this.

> > should draw up a wish-list of things to go on the panel (not
> > too large!) - more concrete than what is already on denemo.org
>
> Yes. That should be helpful.
>

> > What do you think?
>
> So I will have all the buttons call out to guile some procedure called
> Playback_$button and the set up some defaults in denemo.scm. If the
> user wants something different they overide it in their denemo.scm. Or
> I could leave the procedures empty so Alex and Nils can fill it out as
> a template as they see fit. If they are just going to be buttons
> couldn't the button creation be done in scheme?
I think we want more than buttons. Sliders (of some sort) for master
volume and tempo (as you slide a scheme procedure is run on a
value-changed signal etc), and I was imagining some sort of sliders for
controlling the start and end points as well, though maybe this should
be just done in mousing.c directly dragging the red and green markers?
And they would need laying out vertically and horizontally to create
something that looks like a "playback console" - e.g. the looping
controls would be somewhat separate, but the stop button would apply to
them (& this would be an example of where the proc invoked by the stop
button would be extended for looping, to set a boolean to tell the
looping proc to stop).
I can sort of imagine the things people might want, but until we have a
clear spec perhaps we should just provide a very small, very clear set
of controls calling procs in scheme that are still quite basic.

The other way to go would be the guile-gnome (or is it gnome-guile)
package, which despite its name is (I hope) a route to providing full
access to gui-creation in scheme - so we would create the console in
scheme. But I am not sure if it won't drag us into too much stuff.

Richard