Re: Re: [Denemo-devel =?ISO-8859-1?Q?] Windows Font, API C?= all

From: denemo
Subject: Re: Re: [Denemo-devel =?ISO-8859-1?Q?] Windows Font, API C?= all
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 12:13:29 +0100 (CET)

My thoughts were about making it possible for Denemo to just run, no
matter if installed or not. Not all users have admin rights to install
software and there are many people who want to carry around their
windows software on an usb stick.

Denemo does not use the registry, which is good, but it does use the
windows font dir, which makes it unportable or at least pollutes the
system with application-exclusive fonts. The whole purpose of the
font-dir is to share the fonts to different software. Fetta.ttf and
Denemo.ttf are only of limited use to Open Office :)

With a temp, API driven font-load this could be made possible.

Am 07.02.2010 um  Uhr haben Sie geschrieben:
> That's interesting.
> This would be the thing to use if the application needed to access a
> font that it was getting dynamically (e.g. downloading from
denemo.org).
> Hopefully we can get the normal font installation thing working. It
> would be a little inelegant to install code to do this for a font that
> is being provided with the installation, of course.
> I have never come across a problem with installing LilyPond and
finding
> fonts uninstalled, and at the worst we can surely get the same
> installation as denemo.ttf working for fetta.ttf...
> Richard
>

> On Sun, 2010-02-07 at 00:33 +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I just stumbled upon this. Its unverified but could be nice to have.
No
> > more trouble with fonts. Maybe this is even possible without
> > admin-rights.
> >
> > I just included the Delphi example as it was written. Don't know if
it
> > helps
> >
> > Quote:
> >
> > There's a windows API call "AddFontResource" (and a companion
> > "RemoveFontResource") which can temporarily enable a font from any
> > directory. Either should be followed with a WM_FONTCHANGE to all top
> > level windows to make the font immediately available.
> >
> > Here's the Delphi thread that executes adding portable fonts in
> > geek.menu:
> >
> > procedure TRegisterFontsThread.Execute;
> > var
> > srchRecord: TSearchRec;
> > baseDir: string;
> > begin
> > baseDir := ExtractFileDir(Application.ExeName) +
'\Data\PortableFonts\';