Re: [Denemo-devel] tar 99 char exceded by actions dir

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] tar 99 char exceded by actions dir
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 07:34:49 -0600

What you expected is exactly what is happening. I will push a fix to this when I am able.

Jeremiah

On Jan 23, 2010, at 10:56 AM, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:

On Sat, 2010-01-23 at 09:49 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
Ok. Thanks for posting this. I am getting warnings from tar when
running make dist. I also the files not included in the tarbal that
gave me the warnings.

presumably the tar is not the most recent, or, more likely, is by
default running in some compatibility mode. I guess we just inherit the incatation for the invocation of tar from standard templates? Maybe they
were inherited a long time ago?
The worst case is if this limitation is still the norm today - even
worse some filesystems may restrict the path length. If any of this is
the case we will have some work to do.

What I quoted is the current documentation for gnu tar. But I noticed it
referred to earlier things which had already left that restriction
behind. So, I rather doubt it is that you have an old version, but
perhaps it runs by default in some restrictive mode.
Nils - could you try to gub the version with the deep menus (this is the
master I presume, Jeremiah?) and see if the mingw environment has this
problem?

If you can look into this stuff, I can make a start on the MIDI playback
cursor stuff, as I think I have finished everything else now.

Richard

I will have to look into this somehow. If tar
has no such limit why is it doing this?

Jeremiah

On Jan 23, 2010, at 7:5AM, Richard Shann <address@hidden>