Re: [Denemo-devel] Release 0.8.10

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Release 0.8.10
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 12:36:24 -0500

Can you tell me what is your plan with portaudio that cannot be done
with fluid and/or jack?

Richard and I were thing about having Portaudio able to be disabled in order to create a minimized denemo (notation only no sound out except via users external midi player)

From my point of view it seems to be redundant.

Portaudio will be needed to get input from the microphone when have sight singing exercises in the music games. I don't think musical games are a part if a minimalistic denemo. Portaudio output can be used for a slightly less minimalistic. It allows some audio feedback without the slow loading (tajes time for soundfont to load) of a fluidsytnth enabled denemo.

Once the switch is in: What do you think about my plan to switch
between, for example, Jack and Fluid while Denemo is running.

That should not be a problem if the user uses jack as fluidynths audio driver. If alsa is used than jack will need to be stopped and fluidsynth will need to be started.

And that
its possible to have to sets of staff properties. After all this was my
initial genious :) thought

It is possible to have one staff have jack output and the other have fluidsynth output using the jack audio driver. The problem with this is trying to syncronize these two so that they are not out of sync. I am not sure how to do that yet. Until I know how to sync it I am not going to have it be a by staff option. It would be just as easy fir the user to use qsynth connected via jackmidi if the user wished to have qsynth along with say puredata, csounds or whatever.

For example in "Jack-mode" Staff 1 plays on some jack-port, channel 1,
bank 1, instrument 44 but in fluid it plays on fluid-port, channel 3,
bank 2, instrument 15. Each setting does not disturb the other one.

What do you think about this?

I think that is a fine idea but am unsure about the syncronization of this.

Jeremiah

Nils