[Denemo-devel] Pasting LilyPond into Denemo

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Pasting LilyPond into Denemo
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 14:44:01 +0100

I have found a neat way of pasting text from LilyPond files directly
into Denemo. I was prompted to do this by finding a great fund of music
at
http://www.uma.es/victoria/english.html (*)

which comes with the LilyPond source. I can mark and copy the notes from
this music and paste it into a staff in Denemo.

The trick is copy and paste the LilyPond music (the stuff that looks
like this

a8 b cis4 \clef bass e, d,4.

etc, that is, the actual musical notes, key changes, beaming etc etc,
but not the arrangement into staffs, movements etc).
This is the bulk of a LilyPond file, and represents the biggest part of
the job of creating a score. Just pasting the notes avoids the problem
of trying to create Denemo scores from the infinite variety of LilyPond
file arrangements that are possible - in principle a complete scheme
interpreter would be needed to do the job properly.

As part of this I have made the LilyPond import bullet proof so as to
make the copy and paste safe.

I'll check this code is as soon as we are happy that the release is
done.

Richard
(*) Apart from the music of Tomas Luis de Victoria, this site has some
Wm Byrd: great stuff!