Re: [Denemo-devel] The staff indentation and the layout block.

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] The staff indentation and the layout block.
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 09:28:57 +0100

On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 11:14 +0200, Nils Gey wrote:
> This is all very good news because it makes the lilypond output flexible from
> within Denemo.
>
> But its still the question how do deliever all this options to a beginner or
> not-ly-person AND integrate this with the current,

>  string-based system.

This is what I am working on. I hoping to drop the hard-coded support
for titles etc with something as easy to use but customizable. The
interface *could* look just the same, but there would be a uniform
mechanism underneath it. Migrating to this is quite hard, I don't want
Denemo to go backwards.

> So just clickable dialogs/a list of options are not good enough because they
> don't fit in the system and could easily create a mess with denemo-cirectives
> created by the user and by a hypothetical denemo-list overwriting each other.

I agree.
> I can think of a a menu which could be found in the texteditor-window for the
> directives which is one-way ("fire and forget"). All it does would be
> inserting strings to the textwindow, maybe with a describing comment. From
> this point the user is responsible.
> So it fits with the current system.
That would require the user not to be put-off by sight of the lilypond
text.

> Think of it as an advanced online help showing up only in the right context
> and with automatic copy and paste.
That is a nice idea, but I think we need to handle this in the GUI, with
the user attaching things (like titles) to the whole score (book) and/or
to the movements and so on either by mouse (with some graphical item
representing the whole score  and another the movements etc) or by
navigation through menus, with finally the possibility of assigning
keypresses - Shift-Ctrl-T score title, Shift-T movement title ...

Richard