Re: [Denemo-devel] Mixer for midi playback?

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Mixer for midi playback?
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 16:30:28 +0000

On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 08:38 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> > Jeremiah has got MIDI out via intermediate file working (I believe,
> I do
> > not have jackmidi in my distro).
>
> I am not sure what the performance/feature difference would be for
> "Live
> midi out". What can be obtained with the "live midi out" method? To me
> it just sounds like a lot of extra work
The extra work is generating the midi events as a linked list with
cross-links across to the Denemo structures, instead of generating them
straight out into a file.
>  for no benefit. Maybe I am
> missing something.

The crucial difference is that Denemo knows what time it is. That is, it
knows what MIDI out item is due to be output and what bit of the score
that corresponds to. So, (given sufficient compute power) you could join
in playing notes in to one staff while Denemo played the already entered
music out on another. At least that is a notion of mine.

I think Nils (et al) have other things that they would do, to do with
synch-ing with external midi events. I don't really follow what these
people are doing (sometimes I do a bit, and then I forget, because I've
never actually experienced it) but I could imagine, for instance,
speeding up/slowing down or changing the volume/balance of voices as the
piece is playing.
Perhaps, if Denemo had one of our MIDI filters running then you could
beat time with the sustain pedal and it would keep time with your beat.