[Denemo-devel] Denemo as Conductor

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Denemo as Conductor
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 15:02:58 +0000

I mentioned this idea to Nils apropos his conducting exam.

I have been thinking of making a script to use denemo as the conductor
for a musical group playing from their own (printed) parts.
You use a script for the MIDI sustain pedal.
At every press it changes the score by inserting a DenemoDirective that
displays as a large number (the measure number), after deleting the old
one.
The group can follow your beat by keeping an eye on the screen as they
would by keeping their eye on the real conductor. Denemo could sync up
and put in the in-between beats as well if desired.

Of course, it is really you who are conducting, but with the advantage
that you can play at the same time. (Assuming you don't need your feet
to play!)

One for the wish list, I guess. The graphic display thingy is currently
limited to 255x255 pixels, but that would be big enough perhaps.
Which brings me back to the question: What is the proper name for
graphic thingy? Perhaps there isn't quite one, its an icon of sorts,
indicating that a particular sort of thing will be printed here (or in
the case of MIDI directive, that a particular MIDI command will fire off
at this point in the music). But you don't usually refer to things like
the treble clef that Denemo draws as an icon...