Re: [Denemo-devel] jack midi input

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] jack midi input
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 16:50:25 +0000

On Fri, 2008-10-31 at 09:33 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> ok. I first I want to thank Nils for suggesting I look at jack midi
> input. After looking at a few examples I quickly had denemo accepting
> midi input via jack.
Great! Did you already manage to wire this in to the function
pitchentry() in the file pitchentry.c? One of the things this will get
you is the enharmonic control (whether Eb or D# is meant when the midi
pitch comes in).

> My question is where should I put this into the menu.
I think both Audio input and Midi input should be in a new menu Input on
the MainMenu. (The button marked Microphone activates the audio input at
present, it should move to the new menu). Does the midi input have
settings? That is, could it usefully pop up a control panel as the audio
input does?

>  Should it be a
> mode?
It can be useful (I originally had the audio input switch keymaps) but
if we want it we will do it in a script. All we need right now is the
basic functionality of starting up input from midi (it means a new entry
in generate_code.c).

>  Should a popup come up for configuration.
Can you detect Jack at startup? If so you could mark the midi input
command as hidden if it's not there. In any case, the user can put
(d-StartMidi) in their startup scheme script (ok, we don't yet have
one!) if they always use it.