Re: [Denemo-devel] Custom menus

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Custom menus
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 19:31:04 +0100

On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 20:13 +0200, Jean-René Reinhard wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 08:41:00PM +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
> >
> > (This email was blocked when it had an attachment, here it is without)
> >
> > At http://www.rshann.plus.com/customizedMenu.png  is a screenshot of
> > Denemo. Two of the menus are pinned-up, and
> > you can see on them two items which do not exist in the source. One is
> > Guitar Fingerings and the other Multi Measure Rests.
> > How did they get there? Well, you can see there is also a new menu
> > Favorites, which is in the source, which has an add favorite menuitem.
> > With this you can add a menuitem anywhere in the system, giving it a
> > name, tooltip and LilyPond text of your choice. (You can also add a
> > shortcut).
> > When you click on the new item, you are offered the LilyPond text to
> > edit (e.g. MultiMeasure rests require a time signature and number of
> > measures) and
> > the action then inserts that LilyPond.
> > What's the point? Well, if you put into the menu system everything
> > everybody could ever want, no one would ever find anything.
>
> I understood the menu system as a crutch for people unwilling to read the
> documentation. As such, I assumed that its goal was to give a quick acces to a
> keybinding for commands. Ideally, such menu is not required...

Well, we don't live in an ideal world. There may be no documentation,
and if the user can right click on the item to find out what it does,
that is quicker than opening a documentation file and searching. And for
the developer it means when he creates an action he can document it at
the same time in the same place (a tooltip).