dejagnu

Re: I volunteer

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: I volunteer
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 07:51:56 -0600

On 5/18/20 4:36 PM, Jacob Bachmeyer wrote:

> What is the minimal set needed for sufficient testing?  (Which
> packages?  GCC, GDB, ...?  How many versions?  Latest release/Past three
> releases/All supported releases/Something else?  I have/have access to
> AMD64 (with 32-bit compatibility available); otherwise I will need to
> ask for an account on the GCC Compile Farm Andrew Pinski mentioned.)

  I looked at the compile farm, you may want to use it as a test bed. On
just one machine you can do this too, but it would be a nice improvement
if we could use the build farm to add more variations.

> Part of the reason I am now involved with writing tests for DejaGnu
> itself is to reduce this burden.  Right now, the only way to know if a
> change causes problems is to run numerous testsuites for other (large)
> packages and "see if it breaks".

  I think more test cases for DejaGnu is always an improvement. Find as
many bugs as possible doing unit tests, and you spend less time dealing
with issues in the big test runs. So yes, it'll save time in the long
run. The only reason I harp on cross testing is because it's more
fragile, and obscure changes can cause timing errors.

        - rob -
---
https://www.senecass.com