ddd

A few comments

From: Paulo Nogueira
Subject: A few comments
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2024 01:24:58 +0100 (WEST)

 Hello,

 Although I have used DDD quite a number of times, and it must
 be said that almost every feature works, there seem to be, in
 my experience, some rather persistent and nontrivial problems.
 Whether these problems are due wholly to DDD, created by the
 distro (Fedora) I have been using, or to some configuration on
 my computer is unclear. There is always the possibility of
 reporting them as bugs, but I am rather unsure about that
 since this kind of problems should have been reported before.

 These are the problems I have been experiencing for some time
 with DDD+GFortran (typically compiled with flags -O0 -g, but
 -Og does not seem to be an improvement, at least when I tried
 it in a brief session, hence returned to -O0 -g):

 1) the positions of the boxes in the Data window may often
 change (and even overlap) after restarting DDD;

 2) some of the boxes may disappear, or the respective
 titles/headers may change from the name of the variable to
 some kind of characterization of the variable itself;

 3) the number of such boxes may _double_ after each restart;

 4) the number of breakpoints may also increase after each
 restart (one may get multiple breakpoints for the same line
 of source code);

 5) DDD claims not to know about some parameters defined in
 the modules used by some given subroutine -- only when asked
 to display their values, mind;

 6) DDD can freeze for no apparent reason, and has to be
 launched anew;

 7) gdb can also become unresponsive, and has to be stopped;

 8) DDD can save (overwrite) the original init file with
  some extended file that does not work properly;

 9) the height of the usable area of the Data window seems to
  have an upper bound (in pixels?) but nowhere can I find a
  description of that parameter -- thus, one cannot make
  effective use of the larger displays (the Data window can be
  enlarged, but the non-gridded, grey lower part is unusable).

 I would very much appreciate your comments on these issues.
 Recently, I have been using version 3.3.12.

 As a suggestion, I would like to put forward the following
 idea: allowing some small number of sub-programs (functions
 and subroutines, in Fortran) to have their own Data windows.
 If problems (1) and (6) were solved for the current (global)
 Data window, this suggestion would be less relevant. Even
 in that case, however, having "sub-Data-windows" could be
 helpful, so as not to mix variables from different subroutines
 (with the same name, say).

 Another suggestion: an init parameter to let the boxes in the
 Data window to be "pinned" by default, and "re-pinned" with
 new coordinates if moved by the user.

 Kind regards,
  Paulo Nogueira

  PS  there is a message about "being run by the root user"
    and formatting warning messages, but I suppose there is
    no relation to the above issues