ddd

Running DDD is getting harder and harder

From: Žarko Živanov
Subject: Running DDD is getting harder and harder
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2018 22:30:02 +0200

As we updated Ubuntu Linux distributions at classrooms at my faculty, it became evident that DDD isn't running as well as it once was. Most notably, its underlying graphics library gets confused about screen coordinates of source window. Arrow that should point to next line to be executed is drawn between two lines. Right click on line start instead of displaying menu with breakpoint options often displays Print options, and one needs to "hunt" a position on the line where breakpoint menu will appear (trying to click breakpoint icon while the cursor is on the beginning of the line doesnt work either in that case). Clicking on some element of source code places wrong text (usually something before or after text that was clicked on) on the display bar. In short, main interface options of a debugger became almost unusable.

As we are using DDD in an assembly course, we are now thinking about making our own GUI for GDB tailored just for that purpose. Shame, because DDD was pretty powerful tool, and now, thanks to aging underlying graphics library, slowly becomes unusable.

Best regards,
Žarko Živanov
University of Novi Sad

Sent from my Commodore 64