ddd

Re: Timetable for 3.3.12 release. Documentation issues

From: Peter Wainwright
Subject: Re: Timetable for 3.3.12 release. Documentation issues
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 17:41:09 +0000

On Sat, 2009-01-31 at 11:01 -0500, R. Bernstein wrote:
> Peter Wainwright writes:
>  > Unless anyone objects, I'd like to release 3.3.12 next week (Sunday 8th
>  > Feb).
>  >
>  > After that I think it would be a good idea to move to a more frequent
>  > release schedule, perhaps on a 6-monthly basis...
>  >
>  > I'm having a few issues with the documentation.  The DDD manual in PDF
>  > form is fine.  However, previous releases have also contained ddd.ps,
>  > which I'm having trouble with.  ddd/Makefile creates this using pdf2ps,
>  > which seems to create a huge (53 MB!) file.  Looks like stuff has been
>  > rasterized by the print driver.
>  >
>  > I tried instead to do "make dvi" and dvips, but on my system texi2dvi
>  > does not create a DVI but a PDF file.  I think I've seen references to
>  > this problem, I wonder if anyone knows a fix for this.
>
> To make ddd.ps.
>
> 1. Make sure pdftops is installed. (This is part of TeXLive or the
>    Debian/Ubuntu "context" package
>
> 2. Alter ddd/Makefile.am to change EPSTOPDF to pstopdf. Patch is attached
>
> 3. In the doc directory, type:
>    make ../doc/ddd.ps

Thanks for the tip. The EPSTOPDF setting wasn't the problem; that just
affects the generation of a few figures.  However, having installed the
"context" package, I have found that pdftops can produce a much smaller
ps file than pdf2ps (10M instead of the whopping 53M).
[But even that is bigger than the 5.4M ddd.ps in the original ddd-3.3.11
tarball]

Peter