ddd

Re: ddd-test6

From: R. Bernstein
Subject: Re: ddd-test6
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 09:35:01 -0400

Peter Wainwright writes:
 > I'm also fairly confused by the differences between CVS and SVN.

First off, I'm sorry for all of the confusion cased by the names
here. Each release test1-test6 had a specific purpose, namely to add
debugging for a specific debugger (and fix bugs of the previous
release). So the branches were for those the major focus, although
releases are linear.

The test6 is branch is the removal of the built-in decade-old
unmaintained pydb and be replaced by something that I think is
currently better and is maintained outside of ddd. Like pydb in ddd,
the stock Python debugger pdb was/is badly maintained. The person
behind pydb in ddd, Richard Wolff has retired. I asked him if it would
be okay to take over the name, and merged in the one features that pydb
has that pdb still doesn't (gdb display expressions).

I don't think we've been well served by having all of this code
branched off from the trunk for so long with no intermediate ddd release.

Please, let's get this merged back in, release it and move on.

 > assume that the official releases tarballs on Sourceforge were created
 > from the Sourceforge CVS repository tags DDD_3_3_12_test5,
 > DDD_3_3_12_test6.

Correct although it's stated backwards. I worked off of CVS, and when
it was time for a release tagged what was in CVS with DDD_3_3_12_test6.

At some point CVS stuff got converted to SVN. Since I didn't write
access to SVN, I continued with CVS since I knew that was
consistent. I think for a while CVS was not available. So the very
final changes might not have gotten back in CVS.

So I was thinking that if I check out like this:

 > cvs -z3 -d :pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/ddd co
 > -rDDD_3_3_12_test5 ddd

Here's something that I believe works.

svn co svn://svn.sv.gnu.org/ddd/branches/pydb
# This is the read-only URL, if you want to replace with read/write ok.

Download ddd-3.3.12-test6.tar.gz and untar
   wget
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/bashdb/ddd-3.3.12-test6.tar.gz?modtime=1201937698&big_mirror=0

   tar -xf ddd-3.3.12-test6.tar.gz

Now when I do a recursive diff, I get a small number of changes. I've
looked them over and they seem right. The changes are basically
   * differences in CVS/SVN id lines
   * differences to turn the release name into test6 (rather than test6-cvs)
   * removing the date after which ddd will no longer function
   * allowing some features that pydb and gdb have in common to trickle through
     (for example pydb allows disassembly of code like gdb does)
   * there insignificant are some case label changes, I tend to order the
     labels in alphabetic order.

Attached should be the recursive diff I got by doing the above procedure