ddd

Re: Opening files

From: Fred Krogh
Subject: Re: Opening files
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 12:19:17 -0700

Roberto Saltini wrote:
2008/3/23, Fred Krogh <address@hidden>:
Roberto Saltini wrote:
 > I am new at ddd and I am not able to find out a faster method for
 > showing a certain source file.
 > For example, my project is composed of n files, say from 1.c to n.c.
 > If 1.c is showed  and I want to put a breakpoint in file 5.c, the only
 > way I found out is to write 5.c in the text box at the top left
 > corner.
 > Isn't there a faster method?
 > Thank you.

In the gdb console window, I would type "b 5.c:<line number>.

Fred

ok.
Instead if I want to search function "foo" and I don't know the source
file where it is, what's the quicker method?
And if I want a list of all source files that compose my project
because I don't know the exactly name of the one I want to open?
Is there a valid alternative to ddd for windows system?
Thank you.

Once you are in execution you can simply type the name of the function in the text box of the source window and hit the "Enter" key. This sounds like what you were saying was too slow. I'm at a loss to imagine anything that would be faster unless one is a really poor typist. This does not require that you know the name of the source file.

The "file" button then "Open Source" will give you a list of the source files. As far as windows systems are concerned, I've tried cygwin, and found ddd painfully slow in that environment. Ubuntu makes it awfully easy to set up a dual boot system, and that is something that you might find useful.
Fred