ddd

Re: Porting DDD to other widget-sets (gtkmm?)

From: Peter Wainwright
Subject: Re: Porting DDD to other widget-sets (gtkmm?)
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 09:35:40 +0000

On Sat, 2008-03-15 at 11:50 +1100, mark cox wrote:
> Looking through the document, i get the impression that you are not
> trying to restructure the code to separate the gui from application
> logic, but just to replace all the motif calls by calls to the shim,
> is that correct?

Yes, that is the case.  IMHO, restructuring the code would be a means to
an end: making it possible to port the program to another widget set.  I
hope the use of my shim will fix that problem.  What is more, I am not
sufficiently familiar with the workings of DDD to start making major
changes to its structure!  I suspect that if we wanted separation of GUI
and application logic we "would not start from here".  I also think it
can be argued that such separation is not really the OO way.  That is,
instead of splitting the program as Logic + GUI, it is split into
classes, and each object has its own program logic and GUI which may be
bound quite tightly together.

DDD does have a separate system (MakeMenu.C) which builds much of the
interface from data.  This is slightly reminiscent of how it is often
done in modern systems, e.g. reading from a Glade XML file.  However,
you still need to implement the callbacks etc.  Also, the program needs
to change the contents of existing widgets frequently (because they
contain text describing the program state), so it seems to me that it
would be difficult to eliminate many of the points of interaction
between the application and GUI.

Regards,
Peter