ddd

ddd developer wishlist

From: R. Bernstein
Subject: ddd developer wishlist
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 14:26:28 -0500

I'd like to throw this out in case there's a volunteer out there.

One of the difficult things in adding a new debugger or revising an
old one is that the configuration for such a beast is spread over
about 100 places in about a dozen files.

If I were more organized I would have listed all the places and what
controls place affects what the last time I made a pass. Some of those
places are a bit nonobvious (for example where's the place that parses
information that's used in "*debugger* settings" where "debugger" is
Pydb, BASH, Make, etc. What is it you need to do to have ddd disable
various buttons like "stepi"?

So I'd like to see done are first an attempt to somehow consolidate
configuration, or since that's probably a guru task, just docomenting
where this is or what controls what.

Another probably smaller task, I think should be done is to use gnu
getopts to parse options. Right now the debugger options are a little
haphazard so one issues --bash (but not --bashdb) while for gdb one
issues --gdb not say 'C' which of course I understand may be ambiguous
but for bash, python or GNU make (at least right now) isn't. With a
better options-processing routine we'd allow --bash or --bashdb,
--python or --pydb and --mdb or --make (until such time as there were
more than one possibiliites, python, bash or GNU make).