ddd

RE: PostScript docs from DVI or PDF?

From: R. Bernstein
Subject: RE: PostScript docs from DVI or PDF?
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 21:42:44 -0500

Atwood, Robert C reports:
 > I've noticed that some TeX distributions "helpfully" replace some
 > standard LaTeX or TeX with pdfTeX versions of the same command, which is
 > not so good if you actually want the dvi. Eg, the output below from my
 > cygwin default installation of TeTex. ...
 > $ latex
 > This is pdfeTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)

On my GNU/Linux computer with tetex and pdfeTeXk (exact same version)
with some simple tests of a texinfo file with an included enapsulated
PostScript image from ddd or a simple latex file, I get a DVI file.
So pdfeTeXk does produce DVI.

I also asked a old colleague (actually, the "k", in pdfeTeXk) about this
behavior and he was not aware of it.

And using the same version tetex on another project, libcdio
(http://www.gnu.org/sofware/libcdio) still works and still produces
DVI files.

 > By the way, I really like the debuggable make, whatever you wind up
 > calling it.

I hope eventually it will wind up being called GNU Make :-) But if
past experience is a guide, that may take a while.

 > Thanks for developing this.

You are very welcome. You are kind to mention it.