ddd

RE: ./configure error on Mandrake 10.1

From: Comminot Pascal (EDU)
Subject: RE: ./configure error on Mandrake 10.1
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:00:46 +0100

Andrew Gaylard wrote:
>Comminot Pascal (EDU) wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to compile ddd (ddd-3.3.10) on Mandrake 10.1.
>> When I'm running ./configure, I receive the following error message:

>> checking for X... no
>> checking whether libXext is in the standard X library path... no
>> checking whether libXp is in the standard X library path... no
>> checking whether libXmu is in the standard X library path... no
>> checking for Motif... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers (none)
>> checking for Xpm... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers (none)
>> checking for Athena... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers (none)
>> checking whether compiling X headers requires -fpermissive... no
>> checking for XOpenDisplay in -lX11... no
>>
>> configure: error:
>> The X11 library '-lX11' could not be found.
>> Please use the configure options '--x-includes=DIR'
>> and '--x-libraries=DIR' to specify the X location.
>> See the files 'config.log' and 'ddd/config.log'
>> for further diagnostics.
>>
>> Where can I find the requested information (I'm a newbie)?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Pascal
>
> This means that libX11.so or libX11.a could not be found.
> Therefore, either
>
> (a) it is not installed (which I doubt), or
> (b) the configure script cannot find it.
>
> The files 'config.log' and 'ddd/config.log' should explain
> which problem it is.
>
> Andrew.
>
> PS: if you're still battling to get it to build, you should be
> able to find a binary distribution somewhere.  (I don't know
> Mandrake myself...)

I've found libX11.so.6 in /usr/X11R6/lib
I've tried again to run ./configure with the following parameters:

./configure --x-includes=/usr/X11R6/include --x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib

it makes no differences, the error message is the same.

About the binary distribution: there is a ddd-3.3.8 distribution for
Mandrake 10.0 on rpmfind.net, but nothing for 10.1...

Thanks in advance for any other suggestions.

Pascal