ddd

Re: characters in source files

From: Andrew Gaylard
Subject: Re: characters in source files
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 09:14:06 +0200

Schröder, Uwe wrote:
Hello ddd-team,
i'm a novice user of linux/gdb/ddd.
i have a little problem. if it was adjustable in settings/preferences or so,
please do not make something else.
i don't want help - it was just an information mail for you.

i have source files with charactes of the german charset (like ae=ä, an "a"
with 2 dots above it).
if i load this files
        > DDD: File - open source - ...{select] - open  <
the source window displays the source file just up to these characters. more is
not displayed.

best regards
Uwe Schroeder

ELMEG Communication Systems GmbH
Address         Werderstr. 45, 31244 Peine, Germany
Phone           +49 (5171) 909-761
Fax             +49 (5171) 909-777
eMail           address@hidden
configuration of system:
a) linux server, PC-based with ethernet connection
b) work PC with Win.98 and ethernet connection;
1.)     on b) a terminal session is startet with hyper-terminal to get access
an a).
2.) terminal: enter display var: "export DISPLAY=symbolic_name_of_my_pc:0" ; symbolic_name for instance is "TDTW98-5" 3.) on b) Cygwin X11-Server is installed
4.)     start Cygwin and than X11-Server with "startx" in window
5.)     enable access in x11-terminal with "xhost.exe"
6.)     terminal: enter "ddd" (already installed an a)) -> the ddd-X11 window
is opend
7.)     ddd-X11: load a program on the linux server, which is translated with
"-g"; if the main file or another contains the special, language-depending
chars (s.above), we can just see the source-file till this char is reached.

Hello Uwe, and thanks for a detailed problem report.

This is a well-known problem, and is (I think) due to a bug in Motif.
You can work around it by doing "unset LANG" before starting DDD,
as described in the PROBLEMS file in the Linux section.  The problem
doesn't happen if you build with LessTif instead.

Andrew.