ddd

DDDing an Xwindows progam remotely

From: v4r4n
Subject: DDDing an Xwindows progam remotely
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 16:29:04 -0800

I'm using DDD 3.3.1.  Once machine is Redhat 8, the other SUSE 9 (if it matters)

Here is what I am currently doing:

I rlogin to the SUSE box from the Redhat box and make sure the DISPLAY
environment variable is set correctly so that I can remotely execute
X11 applications.  I'm not sure if this is correct, but for now I've
been setting this DISPLAY to the local 192.x.x.x:0.0 address of the
Rehat box.

I quickly test that the program I want to debug works from the command line.

Then I open DDD and open the program I want to debug within DDD.

I hit "run".

(gdb) run
Xlib: No protocol specified

Error: Can't open display: :0.0

Program exited with code 01.
(gbd)

Starting from the command line with DDD's -display option does not
seem to effect the problem, and only determines whether DDD itself
runs, not the application being debugged.

Is this a possible DDD bug or are my X-windows environment variables
all messed up?

It just seems strange that I can remotely start up DDD,  an X11 GUI
app, while the GUI app it is trying to debug fails to run on 'the
server'.  Too bad I can't tell which server it is still trying to run
off of.

Thanks