ddd

RE: need answer

From: Atwood, Robert C
Subject: RE: need answer
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 15:09:41 +0100

As one ddd user to another, here is what I do.

First, I read the ddd manual ( :-P )
http://www.gnu.org/software/ddd/manual/

Then,  I would type

ddd <my-program>

and then type

run <arg1> <arg2> ... <argn>

at the gdb command line, where <my-program> and <arg*> should be the
actual program name and arguments.  Subsequent run commands or pressing
the 'run' button invokes the same set of arguments. This is behaviour of
gdb, the underlying debugger I use, and which is the default if you have
not configured otherwise.

Usually the actual command line of ddd is used for specifying a core
file, or running process, or something like that.

However, I am not sure how the gdb command line handles environment
variable expansion and escaping, assuming you use gdb as the underlying
debugger, I can only suggest looking at the gdb documentation or help
files especially Section 4.3 at
http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb_5.html#SEC20, or
similar documentation for whichever underlying debugger you are using.
It says it passes the line to the shell, so it depends what shell you
are using too.

Hope this helps
Robert