ddd

Workaround: RE: DDD 3.3.9 (i686-pld-linux-gnu) gets `BadWindow' error

From: Atwood, Robert C
Subject: Workaround: RE: DDD 3.3.9 (i686-pld-linux-gnu) gets `BadWindow' error
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:51:09 +0100

Hi,
Which version of Gnuplot do you have installed? It seems to get this
error with 4.0 but not 3.7
In the short term you may get by with an installation of 3.7 instead of,
or in parallel with the 4.0
I get the error with Gnuplot 3.8k also.
It has been reported to get this error even going back to earlier
releases of ddd; definitely something has changed with Gnuplot

You could simply down-grade your gnuplot to 3.7.3 if you are not using
4.0 features/improvements; but I find some of the 4.0 indispensable ,
especially importing more than 7 columns from a text file!

I can avoid the problem, and still keep Gnuplot-4.0,  as follows:

Install gnuplot-3.7.3 in <separate-prefix>/gnuplot-3.7.3
   You can do this using ./configure --prefix=<separate prefix> in the
gnuplot-3.7.3 source tree (available from Sourceforge)

Test the installation works with ddd:
export PATH=<separate-prefix>/gnuplot-3.7.3/bin:$PATH
ddd testarray (my test program that just puts integers 0-100 into an
array a)

graph display address@hidden
<plot button>

(plot works fine)

But then gnuplot will call up the 3.7.3 version, within this session.

Then, if this works, open up ddd and choose "Edit|Preferences|Helpers"
and type the absolute path to
<separate-prefix>/gnuplot-3.7.3/bin/gnuplot into the plot window, where
it originally says "gnuplot <some-options>". Leave the <some-options> as
they are. Save the options. This will set the Ddd*plotCommand in your
personal .ddd/init resource file.

Now, it should work every time.

I have agreed to try and look into this , however I must admit that this
style (Xwindow - GUI, C++) is very new to me and it will take some
learning to even figure out what is supposed to happen with all these
Xresources and widgets, before figureing out what is wrong. Unless it is
really obvious. So I am not promising a speedy resolution and it will be
best to use the work-around for now.

The big improvement for my use of gnuplot-4.0 is the ability to import
more than 7 columns from a text file; ddd does not use this feature so I
don't have a problem with 3.7.