ddd

Re: ddd Breakpoint does not match source

From: Andrew Gaylard
Subject: Re: ddd Breakpoint does not match source
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 22:41:57 -0000

Bob Rasmusens wrote:
Hi

I am new to the DDD but have used Window IDE's. I have a question about
breakpoints. When I set the break points and subsequently step through
the code the stepping and source do not align correctly. That is the DDD
is  looping in  a piece of linear code or I step to go into a function
and I just continue to the next line. This makes it almost impossible to
use to step code as I have no real Idea where I am at. Can you give me
any clues as to the problem and possible solutions.

I have version 3.3.1 of the DDD.

Thank you

Bob

Hi Bob,

[ These may be stupid questions, but I have to ask them anyway,
  so forgive me! ]

Are you compiling with -O at all (-O, -O1, -O2)?
If so, then this will affect the debugging information, since
code can be inlined, reordered, etc. by the optimiser.  If so,
please compile with only -g and see if this helps.

Are you using "inline" in your code?  This can have a similar effect.
I seem to remember that there's an option to gcc / g++ to tell it
to ignore inline directives, so you don't even have to modify your
code to see if this is the cause of your problems.  (I'm assuming
that you're using gcc, since you didn't specify.)

Lastly, does gdb match the source correctly if you use it without DDD?
(I'm assuming that you're using gdb in conjunction with DDD.)  If so,
then the problem's a DDD bug.  If not, then DDD can only do the best
with the information that it gets from the underlying debugger.

You didn't say which platform you're using; we'll need to know this
in order to be of any help.

Andrew.

PS: have you tried 3.3.8?  3.3.1 was released a l-o-n-g time ago,
despite what the version numbers suggest.