ddd

Re: DDD-3.3.9-test1 is released

From: Arnaud Desitter
Subject: Re: DDD-3.3.9-test1 is released
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 10:53:41 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Mooney" <address@hidden>
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.debugging.ddd.general
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2004 5:07 AM

> I did some more investigation into the problem (compilation of ddd.C
> fails like this:

cxx -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.  -I./.. -I/local/include -I/local/gnu/includ
e  -DNDEBUG   -std ansi -O3 -tune host -arch host -Olimit
3000 -readonly_strings -D__USE_STD_IOSTREAM -msg_display_tag    -c -o ddd.o
ddd.C
> cxx: Error: strclass.h, line 464: "string" is ambiguous (ambiguousname)
>     const string& S;            // The string I'm a constSubString of
> ----------^
> cxx: Error: strclass.h, line 468: "string" is ambiguous (ambiguousname)
>     constSubString(const string& x, int p, int l);
> -------------------------^
> cxx: Error: strclass.h, line 481: "string" is ambiguous (ambiguousname)
>     bool contains(const string& y) const;
> ------------------------^
>

> and so on).
>

> The compiler is apparently objecting because `string' is a typedef in the
> Standard C++ library, for the templated basic_string class:
>
>   typedef basic_string<char, char_traits<char>, allocator<char> >
>   string;
>

> Other platforms (Solaris 8, IRIX 6.5.22m) have a similar version of the
> `string' header as part of their C++ Standard library (all of them
> appear to be derived from Rogue Wave's Standard C++ library, of one
> vintage or another), so I'm not sure why they're not having the same
> problem.
>
> I'll keep looking for a way around the problem, but at least now I know
> where it's coming from.

#include <string> imports std::string which is different from string defined
by ddd. "cxx" must import all definitions of the namespace "std" into the
global
namespace and consequently makes the compilation go wrong.
This is confirmed by http://h30097.www3.hp.com/cplus/cxx_ref.htm, see
"-using_std".

Could you try again with "cxx -D__USE_STD_IOSTREAM -nousing_std" ?
Hopefully, it will make it work.

As well could tell us if the information you reported in ddd/PROBLEMS,
section DEC (re. "-msg_disable nonstd_implicit_int") is still relevant ?

Regards,