ddd

FW: DDD and Telnet

From: T Michael Turney
Subject: FW: DDD and Telnet
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:17:04 -0800

I first got exposed to DDD while working as an FAE for
Monta Vista Software.  A "nice-to-have" for a tool in
the embedded market is the ability to telnet to the target
under test.  While there is no pressing reason why the
telnet window needs to be part of DDD, I have a sponsor
who thinks it would be a good idea for his customer-base.

I believe part of the thinking here is to keep all of the
target test tools under the control of a single GUI.  Since
I am between consulting projects I thought I would take a
stab at this request.

> > I should add that I am working with version 3.3.1, the
> > SRPM that shipped with RHL9.  I started with 3.3.8 from
> > sourceforge but we decided we wanted the flexibility of
> > being able to work with pre-3.x gcc.
>
> Weird requirements. There are multiple bug fixes in the more
> recent versions. I suppose you could port your work later
> and provide a patch against the CVS repository.

My personal preference is to work with the latest released bits,
which is why I started with 3.3.8.  What I have done to date I
really view as throw-away, just trying to learn how the bloody
thing works.  Since my sponsor's customer-base is in the states,
we are targeting RHL distributions to run the tool on.  The attraction
to 3.3.1 was that it shipped with: RHL7.3, RHL8 and RHL9.

Questions...

1) Is there any technical reason why a TELNETAgent class, derived
from TTYAgent, would interfer with the GDBAgent class?

2) The ReadyForCmd handler is never added for the GDBAgent (3.3.1), but is
called, oversight? bug? just the way its supposed to be?

3) Are design documents available, especially for the Agent class
hierarchy?

Cheers,
T.mike