ddd

Re: Which jdb ???

From: Andrew Gaylard
Subject: Re: Which jdb ???
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 20:07:45 +0200

Manuel Eduardo Correia wrote:
Which version of the java debugger jdb is known to work well
with ddd. I have tried serveral and all of them fail miserably when
working with ddd.

Please, in case you know the answer,  reply also to my email address
because I do not subscribe this mailing list.

Hi,

Not many people are using jdb together with ddd, so it isn't well
tested.  If you can tell us some of the more serious problems you
are facing, that would be a good starting point.

And patches are always welcome! :)

Typically what happens is that the debugger text output differs
from one version to another, and ddd fails to understand the output.
Similar problems (but on a small scale) were observed between gdb 4.x and 5.x. And the Perl debugger had (and perhaps still has) similar issues too. So what I'm saying is that debuggers are a moving target, and the problems appear to be huge (to the user), but under the skin, they are fairly simple to find & fix.

Andrew