ddd

Re: Debugging suid program

From: apgaylard
Subject: Re: Debugging suid program
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 07:26:10 GMT

> I try to debug a suid program with ddd and it seems the suid flag is ignored
> during startup of the program by ddd. Is there a flag to allow debugging of
> suid programs ?

This is a feature of all debuggers that I've tested, on several Unixes.
It's not a DDD-thing.

It would be easy to violate the setuid security model if one could
run a setuid-program in the debugger as the setuid user.  If you can't
figure out why, try imagining what you could do by setting the value
of a variable which happens to be passed to fork() or system().

For this reason, Unix won't allow this kind of thing.

Either remove the setuid bit from your executable, or su to the
corresponding user before firing up your
debugger.

This message was sent using M-Web Airmail - JUST LIKE THAT
M-Web: S.A.'s most trusted and reliable Internet Service Provider.
http://airmail.mweb.co.za/