ddd

Re: Trying to install ddd

From: Thomas Huld
Subject: Re: Trying to install ddd
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 08:57:42 +0100

> Hi:
>
> I have been trying to install ddd.
> I run both installation steps:
> - ./configure
> - make
>
> without any problems. But when I try to run the program using ddd it
> aborts saying:
> " ./ddd: error while loading shared libraries: libXm.so.2: cannot load
> shared object file: No such file or directory  "
>
> I guess one library is missing but I have no idea how to make it work.
>
> Do you know how can I make it to work?

Ciao Francisco,

Your problem is that the dynamic linker cannot find the Motif (or
LessTif)
libraries. It doesn't necessarily mean that the libraries are not there
(indeed, they probably are there, since you were able to compile).

Now, you didn't give any details of your system, which makes it more
difficult to give a precise solution to your problem, so it could be
useful to know the following:

What kind of system are you using? (Linux, Sun, HP...)

Do you have root (superuser) access?

Which shell are you using? If you don't know, try the command
"chsh" (change shell), and hit return when it asks for a new shell.

Did you install Lesstif (or Motif) yourself? If so, did you install it
in a
non-standard place? (such as in a directory under you home directory
if you don't have root access).

If not, try to see if the missing library might be in /usr/local/lib.

Since this is not strictly a DDD question, better mail me directly
instead of the mailing list on:

address@hidden

Thomas

Thomas Huld
Joint Research Centre of the European Commission
T.P. 450
I-21023 Ispra
Italy
phone: +39 0332785273