ddd

followup: can i use pgdbg (portlang group debugger)

From: yosuke kimura
Subject: followup: can i use pgdbg (portlang group debugger)
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 09:37:17 -0500 (CDT)

Dear DDD team,

I did some trial errors without much success working with portland groups
pgdbg.  My ddd is 3.3.1 on i686 linux.  I downloaded source from gnu's
ftp and compiled with gcc 2.95.3.

I tried

ddd --dbx --debugger "pgdbg -dbx" a.out

What I got is error message from pgdbg saying "Can Not Open ./-q".
Apparently it recieves option -q, and pgdbg assumes -q as the name of file
since it is not a valid option for pgdbg.  DDD says "GDB could not be
started."

I also tried a file ~/bin/dbx with exec permission with following content

pgdbg -dbx

then started ddd as

ddd --dbx a.out

In either case I got prompt from pgdbg in ddd's window, but ddd itself
stayed at "Opening session ??????? ..." status.  pgdbg doesn't seem to
know which executable to work with.  It usually generates messages for
progress such as reading symbol tables if I start it as, for example,
pgdbg a.out

I tried ddd -dbx, and ddd still has trouble opening sessions.  I have no
quota and the partition ($HOME, executable, ddd, /tmp and so on in one
big partition) has > 1GB.

I am willing to spend my spare time to work with code, if I can get some
general direction for which file need to be edited.  So please let me know
if you know work around for this problem or have some suggestion for me.

Thank you.

--
yosuke kimura
Center for Energy and Environmental Resources