ddd

Re: Attach a Perl 5.005_03 process to a DDD session

From: Johan Vermeire WX21 54189
Subject: Re: Attach a Perl 5.005_03 process to a DDD session
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 17:44:53 +0100

Andreas Zeller wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Johan Vermeire WX21 54189 <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I tried to attach a Perl 5.005_03 process (Solaris 2.6) .
> >
> > First I load the associated program file for the symbols.
> >
> > But, then it's not possible to attach a child Perl porgram to a DDD session:
> > The file menu -> "Attach to Process" menu selection stays grayed!
> >
> > Is this a known limitation?
>
> Yes.  The perl debugger is basically a variant of the perl
> interpreter; hence, it cannot attach to existing processes.
>
> --
> Andreas Zeller     Universitaet Passau
>                    http://www.fmi.uni-passau.de/st/staff/zeller/

Andreas,

The Perl debugger is able to follow a forked/exec Perl script.
Therefore, you've to step in to the fork statement, after the Perl fork pop-ups
a new x-term with the forked Perl script.
After the forked process starts a Perl exec, the Perl debugger becames dizzly.

I've now found a way to start up ddd with the forked/exec process in a Perl
script:

exec("xterm -e /cmx/tools/ddd perl_program.pl");

Then I got two ddd sessions, one with the original Parent process and one with
the
forked/exec process.

The only problem I'm still facing is the piping.
Perl process pipes are used for communication between the parent and the child
process
by using standard I/O buffering in normal mode.

My only problem now is to redirect the standard I/O buffering for the created
dual pipe in ddd.
I don't known how to do this in ddd or outside of ddd.

Any idea?

Best regards,

Johan Vermeire