dazuko-help

Re: [Dazuko-help] bash/dash - /bin/sh

From: John Ogness
Subject: Re: [Dazuko-help] bash/dash - /bin/sh
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 13:02:42 +0100

Robert Hogan wrote:
> I think you're linux_dev_conf may be affected by ubuntu's decision to
> link /bin/sh to dash rather than bash.

Hi,

This issue was fixed with the 2.2.1-pre1 version (29 Apr 2006). But
thank you for pointing this out.

> If you find this decision to break applications that work perfectly well on
> other distros, please add your dissent at the thread below:

Although such a change will probably break a lot of Linux scripts, I
think it is generally a good idea. /bin/sh should (in my opinion) only
support minimal "common UNIX" shell commands and syntax. This helps to
keep /bin/sh scripts compatible across varying UNIX systems.

If someone specifically needs bash extensions, they should use /bin/bash
and not /bin/sh.

John Ogness

--
Dazuko Maintainer