Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] Re: Planning to check-in new branch: the GIOP ext

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] Re: Planning to check-in new branch: the GIOP extensions for rmic.
Date: 08 Feb 2006 13:25:44 -0700

Tom> In fact, long term, I'd rather see all of the tools in cp-tools
Tom> merged into cvs.savannah.gnu.org:/sources/classpath and used by
Tom> all bundlers of GNU Classpath.

Yeah, I agree.  This has a number of benefits, and I can't think of
any drawbacks.

We discussed this on irc a bit and one thing that came up was
licensing.  In particular, I think we want to be sure that the various
tools are usable in a typical java environment -- so for instance I
think we want it to be clear to end users, packagers, etc, that it is
fine for 'ant' to load gjdoc (or any Classspath tool) from the
tools.jar.

>From my perspective this would be simplest if we made sure all the
tools were also GPL+Exception.  This would also make it simpler to
refactor code across the tool/core boundary.

However, a relicense may not actually be required.  A statement from
the FSF assuring people that this kind of use is allowable would
probably suffice.

Tom> Toward that end, I plan to propose merging gcjappletviewer into
Tom> GNU Classpath once the security work is done.

Excellent!

Tom