[Cp-tools-discuss] java assembler/disassembler

From: Daniel Reynaud
Subject: [Cp-tools-discuss] java assembler/disassembler
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:08:45 +0200

Hello,

I have had some discussion with the guys at address@hidden about some tools I am working on. I am currently studying the security of J2ME, and I decided I would focus on the KVM verifier. However I have not found any tools for generating invalid class files easily, I have therefore decided to write my own. I am actively working on them, they are not quite finished for the moment but some early releases are available on http://tinapoc.sourceforge.net.

I have seen you also had some discussion about this kind of tools, so tell me if you're interested. The toolkit includes :

- zip2xml : a "disassembler" for zip files (ie jar files too)

- xml2zip : same thing, kind of "assembler" for zip files

- dejasmin : a class disassembler, support for Jasmin output. However it includes some other interesting features as well, I have designed it to allow for the analysis of malware, so it should also work against broken/invalid/truncated class files. It can also dump the *whole* content of a class (even attributes it doesn't recognize or unused constant pool items). It makes use of the BCEL to produce Jasmin output, otherwise I have developed a very basic API to parse class files.

- jasmin : Jon Meyer added me as a developer of Jasmin, so I am now working on an updated version of Jasmin. The goal is to extend the language so that we have more control over the generated classes and include new features of the Java language. For example, I have added support for offsets instead of labels as branch targets. I am also going to include support for Signature and StackMap attributes.

I would be interested to know what you think about this project.

Regards,
Daniel