Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] gnu.bytecode

From: C. Brian Jones
Subject: Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] gnu.bytecode
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 01:36:34 -0500

On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 22:57, Elliott Hughes wrote:
> is this the right/a sensible place to talk about gnu.bytecode?
>
> i know there's *a* copy of gnu.bytecode in the repository, but i know
> it's not *the* copy. for some reason, it was easier to find this list
> than any equivalent kawa one.
>
> i've been writing a tool similar to javap/jcf-dump, but which outputs
> something in a form suitable for re-assembly into a .class file. aside
> from the lack of support for 1.5 changes, i've found that the
> LocalVariableTable support doesn't work (try
> gnu.classpath.tools.JavapMain or gnu.bytecode.dump on a class compiled
> with "javac -g" to see). there's a really simple fix for JavapMain and
> my disassembler, but i don't know if it'll break kawa or anything else
> that uses gnu.bytecode.
>
> is this where i'd find people who're interested?

I'm interested in fixing the local variable table problem.  I think it
used to work but definitely doesn't now.  Per might be interested on the
kawa list.  Anyway there is a partial library for disassembly in the
newest japitools which I've receive permission to extend and dump into
cp-tools.  I will have to add additional lower level support to it but
that's okay.  The facets of gnu.bytecode that allow for changing actual
bytecode and writing class files back out are useless to me.  I'm also
eager to avoid Class.forName() calls in the library which gnu.bytecode
appears to have.

Brian
--
Brian Jones <address@hidden>