Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] gjdoc java compatibility

From: Julian Scheid
Subject: Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] gjdoc java compatibility
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 21:53:37 +0200

Mark Howard wrote:
 I've been trying to update Debian gjdoc packages to the latest release.
My main problem has been getting a dfsg-free JAXP-compliant XSLT
processor which provides javax.xml.parsers.ParserConfigurationException
- this is now on its way to being solved.

Are you aware of GNU Libxmlj which I wrote specifically for this purpose?
It isn't a full-featured XSLT processor, but its functionality is
sufficient for Gjdoc.

The new problem is that the current source requires jdk 1.4. As far as I
know, this is not satisfiable with free tools.
(the README states that only jdk 1.2 is required)

The (first) offending file is:
./gnu/classpath/tools/doclets/xmldoclet/doctranslet/DocTransletConfigurationException.java:30:
 Can't find constructor
+`java.lang.Exception(Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/Throwable;)' in type
`java.lang.Exception'

Firstly, the current CVS version compiles with GNU gcj 3.3 (it ought to,
at least.) Secondly, I don't think there are any 1.4 dependencies aside
from the Exception constructor you mention; if 1.2 compatibility really
is necessary, these can be easily patched (e.g. by
  super(message + ", caused by: " + cause.toString());
).

Also note that the README is way out of date.

Julian