[Cp-tools-discuss] Relax NG

From: Julian Scheid
Subject: [Cp-tools-discuss] Relax NG
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 04:45:23 +0100

I recently came across Relax NG, designed by xml.god and free software
friend James Clark. I plan to use this for describing the Gjdoc
document type and possible future types. I'd even go as far as
recommending RNG as the XML document type descriptor type of choice
for other projects as well. It beats XML Schema by lengths, not to
mention DTD.

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/relax-ng/
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/relax-ng/tutorial-20011203.html
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/relax-ng/spec-20011203.html
Make sure to take the tutorial, it makes for a good quick start.

Also check out this rant in which Clark points out RNG's strengths
compared to Schema:
http://www.imc.org/ietf-xml-use/mail-archive/msg00217.html

There's a cross-conversion tool available, again written by Clark and
published under a BSD license.
http://www.thaiopensource.com/relaxng/trang.html

It converts RNG to DTD and Schema, so this approach is both downward
and cross-compatible.

Julian