Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] packaging cp-tools for debian

From: Grzegorz Prokopski
Subject: Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] packaging cp-tools for debian
Date: 13 Aug 2002 16:21:33 +0200

W liƛcie z wto, 13-08-2002, godz. 14:48, Brian Jones pisze:
> Maybe this patch never was included?  Take a look because I think these
> are your missing functions.  Please update the patch and submit to Per
> to include in gnu.bytecode if he doesn't mind.  Apparently I noticed
> this last year but forgot to follow up with Per on it.

Yes, that was the missing piece (THANKS! 8). It applies to that old
(20020725) tree and new one too (with exclusion of ChangeLog, but that's
unimportant).
However applying it to current tree - doesn't give you ability to
compile cp-tools. There are some errors about mismatched casts etc.

I copied that old gnu/bytecode code with patch applied to my cp-tools
source. It will allow me to have this tools for now.

Lemme say some words about cp-tools and classpath and moving stuff
between them.

There was recent discussion about com.sun.javadoc. The problem was,
that this stuff is not licensed under GPL+linking exception like
all GNU Classpath is suppossed to be. It was suggested (not for the
first time) that this part doesn't really belongs to gnu classpath,
but it'd better be moved to cp-tools/gjdoc, where it is really used
and where it belongs.
http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/classpath/2002-August/002499.html
I belive I've read some older discussion about moving javadoc
stuff to cp-tools project (don't have link ATM).

Some technical questions (if you want to give me some advice):
- ATM I have created separate packages for cp-tools (javap, javah,
serialver) and separate for gjdoc. Do you think that it is right?
Maybe it would be better to have just one classpath-tools
package with ALL this stuff in it? what about automakejar then?
what about texinfo-doclet? should they all be in ONE package?
- I needed some names for javap, javah i serialver, so I added
cp- prefix (cp-$origname) and put it into /usr/bin/
do you think it is OK?
- oh - and I couldn't get gjdoc Makefile working, so I just
jikes `find . -name \*.java`
fastjar `find . -name \*.class`
Any objections?

Thank you for all your effort