Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] Cp-tools Javadoc Overview (was Re: Classpath API

From: Julian Scheid
Subject: Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] Cp-tools Javadoc Overview (was Re: Classpath API javadoc)
Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 14:06:52 +0200

Hi Mark,

great that you gave it a try.

First of all: I've to admit that I didn't check in my recent changes,
and there were a lot of them. I just did that... sorry, I'm not very
used to working on a CVS repository. I'll make sure that I check in
future changes without delay.

However, build and invocation are only affected marginally, so that
shouldn't pose a problem. With one exception:

The XML doclet will now produce multiple XML files (one index file
and one for each class documented.)
This can speed up XSLT processing by orders of magnitude when you
are documenting large trees (like the full Classpath source.)
Therefore, the "-d" option to XMLDoclet now takes a destination
directory, instead of a destination file.

So your gjdoc invocation should now look something like this:

mkdir /path/to/xmltemp

>    ./gjdoc -sourcepath \
>       .:/home/mark/src/classpath:/home/mark/src/classpath/vm/reference \
>       -doclet gnu.classpath.tools.doclets.xmldoclet.Driver \
        -d /path/to/xmltemp
>       gnu.classpath.tools.gjdoc

Note the "-d /path/to/xmltemp" option instead of your previous
"> output.xml" redirection.

After that you can run xsltproc (this is what I am using) like this:

mkdir /path/to/htmldocs
xsltproc \
        --output /path/to/htmldocs/index.html \
        --param verbose "1" \
        --param now "'`date`'" \
        --param copyright "'../classpath-copyright.html'" \
        xslt/gjdocxml2html.xsl \
        /path/to/xmltemp/index.xml

Please take a look at bin/gjdocxml2html.sh for more information
on that. I'll see that I soon put together a README which details
the necessary steps.

 - Run gjdoc on its own source
   ./gjdoc -sourcepath \
      .:/home/mark/src/classpath:/home/mark/src/classpath/vm/reference \
      -doclet gnu.classpath.tools.doclets.xmldoclet.Driver \
      gnu.classpath.tools.gjdoc > output.xml
   (This does give a lot of ERROR messages so this is propably not the
    correct invocation. But it does produce output.)

The invocation is correct (except that you now need to pass in the '-d'
option instead of redirecting output.)
Gjdoc currently produces a lot of error messages that can be ignored.
All of them should probably be warnings instead.

Julian