Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] cvs re-org and contributors/copyright assignment

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] cvs re-org and contributors/copyright assignment
Date: 05 Apr 2002 11:20:09 +0100

Alex Lancaster <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Nic and others,
>
> Long time, no see (e-mail)! ;-)

I know, I know... for my part I've been really busy with work. I have
been feeling really guilty about not finishing this stuff.

> DS> 1) please add me as a developer on this project
>
> Here's my reply:
>
> AL> Thanks for volunteering.  I'd be happy to go ahead and do that,
> AL> but since it's part of GNU Classpath (a subproject) you may need
> AL> to assign copyright to the FSF for the changes (unless you've
> AL> already signed copyright for GNU Classpath previously).  I'm sort
> AL> of new to this, so I'm not sure how large a change needs to be
> AL> before you need to a (C) assignment.  Perhaps Nic Ferrier (who's
> AL> on this list) will know.
>
> Wondering if you had any thoughts, and/or know who we should ask...

Hi Danny! Good to see people interested in helping!

You should sign (c) forms if you're going to make substantial
changes.

Do you have something specific that you want to do? If it's just bugs
you probably don't have to sign (c) forms; in that case I suggest the
best thing is to get the source from anonymous CVS and provide
patches for that stuff that you're trying to do.

If you have got substantial changes what are they? It's best to raise
the design issues here and if the people here agree then you could do
the work and sign the forms as you go.

> Also, just wondering what the status was regarding the CVS reorg.  If
> you get time, please do go ahead and move things in their correct
> subdirectories (e.g. in gjdoc), and delete the duplicate
> "texinfo-doclet" subdirectory in cp-tools (which should probably be
> renamed to "misc") I can then easily go ahead and fix any build
> problems that may arise.

I can't remember what I was doing here... I remember I moved one of
the modules but didn't do the build stuff.

> There's not much point fixing the build problems until the CVS is in
> the right shape...

My build stuff works but is not adaptable enough. I have lots of
projects that I want to apply it to but I don't have time to learn
automake (which might help me make it more generic).

I've been thinking about writing a tiny perl script to produce a
makefile that does the things I need. This perl script would be a
sort of equivalent of automake and could possibly be replaced by
automake once I work out how to make automake generate the file in
the right way.

Nic