[Cp-tools-discuss] DebugDoclet >> XmlDoclet

From: Julian Scheid
Subject: [Cp-tools-discuss] DebugDoclet >> XmlDoclet
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 17:55:07 +0100

I changed my mind, I'll implement an XmlDoclet instead
of continuing work on DebugDoclet.

There are no disadvantages as XML is also plaintext and
therefore equally useful for diff'ing.

But there are a number of advantages: I don't have to
come up with a structure for DebugDoclet output, we
can possibly use XML-specific tools for analyzing
output, and best of all: by creating an appropriate
XSLT sheet, we can produce HTML and do no longer have
to rely on Sun's Standard Doclet.

In order to make sure that the XML output by the doclet
is useful for feeding into XSLT, I'm implementing a
XSLT sheet in parallel. That works out quite well,
and its fun - never used XSLT before and I like it.

So be prepared for something even more useful! ;)
Will check in a preview of this tonight.

For now, I'll put it with gjdoc, but we should place
this in a separate subproject later on.

BTW I will not try to make HTML output produced by
the stylesheet look similar to Standard Doclet
HTML output. Instead I'll try to make the HTML
output as useful as possible. If you have any
suggestions, like things that you always disliked in
Sun's HTML output, this would be the perfect time
for letting me know.

Julian