[Fwd: Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] shape of the CVS]

From: Julian Scheid
Subject: [Fwd: Re: [Cp-tools-discuss] shape of the CVS]
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 02:07:37 +0100

JS wrote:

>> Some people I know use Linux features to automatically call the vm
>> when the command line sees the class file magic number, giving class
>> files the same status as perl or tcl.
>
>Well but this has to be compiled into the kernel; the shell script
>approach works for every system.

In my opinion the cleanest way to package a Java app is to put
it into one jar file with an appropriate Manifest so that you
can do a  "java -jar /somewhere/someapp.jar". From my point of
view, putting stuff on the CLASSPATH is only useful if it's a
library and needs to be called from your application.

I guess this approach does not work with free VMs yet (no good
jar file support at the time), but in the end its the cleanest way.
This way, you have application code and library code separated;
library code is easily accessible via CLASSPATH, application code
is separate stored in Jar files which are not on the classpath.

Julian