Feature Request shaXXXsum pipeout

From: Stefan Althöfer
Subject: Feature Request shaXXXsum pipeout
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 16:06:10 +0000

Hi all,

I'd like to request a new --pipeout feature for shaXXXsum to allow on-the-fly
checking of files. It should be possible to request shaXXXsum to pass stdin
data to stdout.

I'd like to do s.th. like this to avoid reading files twice from network or
storing them locally:
     $ set -o pipefail
     $ cat network_path/big.img.gz | sha256sum --pipeout -c cs.sha256 | gzip -d
| dd of=/dev/sdx

--pipeout should imply --quiet of course and just return nonzero on fails.

It did a test implmentation for sha256 case. Seems this can be implemented
easily. Maybe my implementation is not bullet proof however.

Questions to the maintainers:
. Is such a feature desirable/acceptable?
. If so, can --pipeout be used or should there be a better option name?
. Should there be a single letter option?

Mfg

-----
Stefan Althöfer (stefan.althoefer@janztec.com)
Teamleiter Hardware

Janz Tec AG
Im Doerener Feld 8 | 33100 Paderborn | Germany
phone +49 5251 1550-113 | fax +49 5251 1550-190

In der Zeit vom 24.12.2020 bis zum 03.01.2021 haben wir Betriebsferien.
Ab dem 04.01.2021 sind wir wieder für Sie erreichbar.
Der Support ist an den Tagen vom 28.-30.12.2020 unter der Telefonnummer +49
5251 1550-200 erreichbar.
Our office is closed from December 24th 2020 till January 3rd 2021.
We will be back at January 4th 2021.
Our support can be reached from December 28th till 30th via +49 5251 1550-200.
Besuchen Sie uns: / Visit us at:
Web | Facebook | XING | LinkedIn | YouTube | Twitter | Induux

Datenschutz: So gehen wir mit Ihren Daten um. / Data protection: This is how we
handle your data.

Janz Tec AG, Im Doerener Feld 8, D-33100 Paderborn; Vorstand (Managing
Directors): Dipl.-Ing. Michael Rennerich, Matthias Stute;
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender (Chairman Supervisory Board): Philipp Stute;
Registergericht (registered): Paderborn HRB 3996

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE. This message is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that
is confidential and/or privileged. If the reader of this message is not the
distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you received
this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone or
e-mail, and delete the material from any computer. Thank you.