Re: how to sell network nodes

From: Michael J. Baars
Subject: Re: how to sell network nodes
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 11:13:18 +0100

On Fri, 2020-11-13 at 14:36 -0800, L A Walsh wrote:
> On 2020/11/12 00:48, Michael J. Baars wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I needed to zero out my hard drive because one of my nodes has become
> > unstable. To this purpose I used coreutils dd with the following command
> > line
> > arguments
> >
> > dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmc... status=progress
> >
> > and I noticed how slow this program is in doing the job. So I tried a
> > couple of different settings, like
> >
> > bs=1048576 oflag=direct
> >
> > but without significant improvement. The results are always the same...
> > around 25 mb/s.
> >
> > Then I remembered this little benchmark I write not so long ago, please do
> > have a look at it, it won't destroy your drive. I included the results
> > obtained
> > by running the benchmark on the computer I'm currently working on, so you
> > can compare them to your own.
> >
> ---
>     Your benchmark uses 'random' as input, which I seem to remember having
> it's own slowness.
>
>     Using '/dev/zero' as input, I immediately got 49MB/s.

I get 83.2 mb/s using /dev/zero.

The actual input to the benchmark is neither /dev/zero or /dev/random, it's
./ftesti :) Trying to achieve the same with dd:

dd if=./ftesti of=./ftesto bs=1048576 count=64 oflag=direct status=progress

gives a speed of 88.0 mb/s.

As you can see from the log, with given blocksize, my benchmark does this exact
same thing at a rate of 5663.7168 mb/s and at a maximum rate of 16589.7124 mb/s
with blocksize 67108864 (the entire file at once).

Why, I ask you, is dd that much slower? What is it 'actually' doing with all
the processing power available?